Program Manager – East Africa Dairy Development
Location: Southern Tanzania
General Information: TechnoServe is an international non-profit economic development organization founded in 1968 out of a conviction that a vibrant private sector is an essential foundation for economic growth and poverty reduction.
TechnoServe undertakes targeted, catalytic technical assistance and other programming to increase the competitiveness of entrepreneurs, businesses and industries that in-turn provide sustainable employment, inclusion of the poor and increased incomes.
TechnoServe operates in 25 developing countries with over 1,000 employees.
Primary Purpose: Building on the success and learning from East Africa Dairy Development ( EADD) Phase I, EADD II is an ambitious five-year program designed to help 136,000 smallholder farm families to achieve sustainably improved livelihoods – in Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania by 2018.
The vision of success for EADD is to transform the lives of resource-poor farming families with improved market access to a wealth-creating, robust dairy value chain that benefits all industry stakeholders.
Position Description: The Program Manager will be the TechoServe’s team leader in the EADD project, direct the implementation of all dairy related interventions and support the team to respond to client business needs.
The job is at least 80% field based and entails the designing of business concepts and proposals specific to clients and industry needs.
TechnoServe expects that this position will work closely with other team members to enhance clients’ benefits and leverage related interventions within TechnoServe.
The position will also involve close collaboration with our development partners in the successful implementation of joint activities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all deliverables under the EADD Project; this includes specific outputs and outcomes as provided for in the project proposal.
- Working in close collaboration with TechnoServe’s Regional Dairy Manager, contribute towards the overall effective delivery of outputs and outcomes under the Regional TechnoServe portfolio in the project.
- Collaborate closely with the Regional Manager in the implementation of dairy business activities to include timely execution of the annual plan and delivery on all targets of the country contract, development and tracking of project budget requirements.
- Work with the team to establish business development needs for existing and new client businesses, identify priority areas of involvement and develop implementation strategies.
- Oversee the delivery of business development and advisory services to client businesses in TechnoServe’s dairy portfolio (including dairy stakeholders) and develop interventions that address specific needs of client businesses to position them for growth.
- Develop effective and strong working relationships with partners, identify areas of collaboration, be involved in the project planning and make regular presentations to high-level audiences, business owners, donors and policy-makers.
- Manage a team of Senior Business Advisors.
- Degree in Agricultural Economics, Agribusiness Management or related studies. Master’s degree an added advantage.
- Minimum of five years field and technical experience with agribusiness development, farmer organizations or entrepreneurship is required.
- Strong project management and financial analysis skills.
- Dairy related experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills a must.
- Track record of building strong client and stakeholder relationships.
- Ability to generate innovative solutions in work situations.
- Proven ability and experience working with and managing teams will be an added advantage.
- Willingness to travel regionally and to remote rural locations.
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili required.
Please submit your application (by email only) to email@example.com with the position title placed in the subject line.
(1) cover letter describing your interest,
(2) curriculum vitae,
(3) salary history, and
(4) telephone contacts of three professional referees.
Please include all requirements in one document (pdf).
Applications will be treated confidentially.
Deadline for applications is 6th December 2013.
Note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.